Shirodhara (Head Therapy)
“Shiro” means “head” and “dhara” is the continuous flow of liquid. In this treatment, herbal oils, milk or buttermilk containing herbs, are poured onto the forehead – especially on third eye/ajana chakra – followed by relaxing head massage. The shirodhara technique soothes and invigorates the senses and mind. An overwhelming sense of mental clarity is experienced in the process.
The client lies on a specially designed table. A wide-mouthed vessel with a small hole at the bottom is hung above the head of the client, so that the wick hanging from the vessel is roughly two inches above the forehead. The special oil or milk is poured into the vessel and made to flow in a continuous stream through the wick and onto the forehead. The eyes are protected by cotton pads.
Benefits of shirodhara:
- mind and body relaxation;
- relieves stress, anxiety, depression, and insomnia;
- helps mental focus and concentration;
- balances Vata dosha;
- improves the sensitivity of the five senses;
- reduces and relieves migraine headaches;
- decreases hair loss and premature hair greying;
- relieves fatigue and improves sleep patterns;
- Cures ENT diseases;
- is a form of diabetic neuropathy;
- activates the pituitary and pineal glands as well as hypothelamus, which regulates all hormones of body; and
- cures certain skin diseases.
* Each treatment at Anahata is tailored specifically to our clients needs. Depending on the condition being treated, different products varying in price will be required. Therefore the product cost is not included in the price listed for this treatment.
We strongly recommend booking in for a Ayurvedic Consultation before this treatment is purchased, to properly assess whether it is the correct choice for you.
Why not purchase a massage series at a discounted price?
Series of 7: $1,015
1 1/4 hr: $160
Recommended for Depression, anxiety, hair ailments, sleep issues, migraine and other headaches, improved alertness and relaxation.
1 1/4 hr: $160